I've been vegan for almost a year now and it's always so surprising that people think I must miss out on all the good stuff, like cake. I don't! I just make it a little differently, and a lot of the time the recipes are even tastier than the non-vegan version I used to make. I Just Love It sent us a personalised baking kit so we could get busy in the kitchen creating a festive recipe. You can't beat a good brownie and these ones are super gooey, really chocolatey and have a hint of peppermint which makes them just perfect for Christmas!
The Best Vegan Christmas Brownies
200g dark chocolate, chopped
170g self-raising flour
1 heaped tbsp cocoa powder
180g golden caster sugar
75ml sunflower oil
1tsp vanilla extract
225ml dairy-free milk (I use unsweetened soya, but you could use almond if you are soya-free)
5-10 drops peppermint extract
METHOD - makes 16 pieces
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC and grease and line a 20cm square baking tin.
2. Using a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water, melt 150g of the chocolate.
3. Sieve the flour and the cocoa powder into a mixing bowl. Add the sugar and a pinch of salt and stir to mix through.
4. Stir in the oil, vanilla extract and milk, then add 5-10 drops of peppermint extract to taste and stir in the rest of the chocolate.
5. Tip the mixture evenly into the baking tin and bake for 25 minutes.
6. You can either serve them warm straight away, or allow to cool completely before drizzling with icing and decorating with Christmas sprinkles. We used some fabulous holly and berry sprinkles!