I've been vegan for a few months now, but it's taking me some time to get my head around vegan cake making. A lot of recipes I've found use ingredients that I can't have, like almonds, or ingredients that are hard to find, like egg replacers. Then I found out about bare cupboard cakes, and those kind of recipes totally work for making delicious vegan cupcakes. Hurrah! It's also a good recipe for people with dairy or egg allergies. We made these cupcakes for celebrating the Queen's 90th birthday but you could make them for any special occasion. They only take 20 minutes to bake, and I bet you already have all the ingredients you need!
Vegan Spiced Cupcakes
makes 12 cupcakes
250g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
200g caster sugar
2 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1/2 tsp salt
1. Preheat your oven to 180 C and line a 12hole muffin tray with paper cases.
2. Add the sugar, oil, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, salt, raisins and water to a saucepan. Bring to the boil and continue boiling for 5 minutes.
3. Remove the pan from the heat and allow the mixture to cool.
4. Once cool, mix the flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda together and add to the raisin mixture.
5. Stir until it's all combined, then divide the mixture equally between the 12 cases.
6. Bake at 180 C for 20 minutes.
7. Allow the cupcakes to cool and then smother in frosting and decorate to your heart's desire!