One of our favourite things to do on a rainy day is to bake. This year saw Dick Bruna’s loveable bunny Miffy turn 60, so Little N and I decided to bake some special cakes to celebrate Miffy’s 60th birthday! Using a simple fairy cake recipe and some super cute Miffy rice paper toppers, we came up with these scrummy little cakes.
Little N loves to do the stirring and the pouring, while it is my job to do the measuring and using the oven. I measured out the flour, margarine, vanilla, milk, sugar and eggs, and Little N used some elbow grease to give it all a good mix.
With just a little help from me divided the cake batter between 12 fairy cake cases which we’d placed into a bun tray. We then baked them at 180C for about 10 minutes until they were golden brown.
Once they were cooled it was time to cover the fairy cakes with icing and decorate them with the Miffy cake toppers, which Little N did with a lot of care.
I think he did a great job with his Miffy fairy cakes, don’t you? They were very tasty! If you want to make some fairy cakes you’ll find the recipe below. And you can visit the Miffy shop to find out more about all the cool Miffy products available like the new modernised books.
Ingredients, for 12 fairy cakes:
55g self-raising flour
55g softened margarine
55g caster sugar
1 medium egg, beaten
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
150g icing sugar
1-2 tbsp water
12 cake toppers
1. Preheat the oven to 180C. Line a bun tray with 12 fairy cake cases.
2. Beat together the margarine and sugar.
3. Add the flour, egg, vanilla and milk and beat until smooth.
4. Divide the mixture evenly between the 12 cake cases.
5. Bake for 10 minutes. You can check they’re done by inserting a knife, it will come out clean.
6. Allow the cakes to cool completely on a wire rack.
7. Make the icing by mixing the icing sugar and water until smooth.
8. Drizzle the icing sugar over the fairy cakes and place a cake topper on top.
Do your children like to bake? What rainy day activities do you enjoy?