My fiancé LOVES soup. I’ve always promised I would try some soup recipes but never got round to it. Oops. I first made this Chunky Tomato Soup a couple of months ago and since then it has been on the menu every week. It’s so easy to make and utterly delicious, and even Baby N gets to enjoy it too.
For 2 generous portions (plus a baby-sized portion!) you need:
- 400g tomatoes, blanched, peeled and cubed
- 150g potato, cubed
- 1 celery stick, cubed
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- a handful of basil - I’m using Greek basil because the tiny leaves look so pretty
- 750ml vegetable stock
- olive oil
- pinch of dried chilli, as much or as little as you like
- pinch of salt
- pinch of pepper
- Heat 1tbsp of olive oil in a large pan. Add the onion, chilli and salt and heat gently until softened.
- Add the celery and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the potato, stock and basil. Simmer for 25-30 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and pepper. Heat gently for 5 minutes.
- Check your seasoning. If you’re happy, it’s ready to serve with a big chunk of crusty bread!
For babies, spoon some of the soup over little chunks of bread and let it soak in (and cool down). It’s easy for them to then pick up the bread and the small cubes of vegetables. Baby N loves this soup; I use Kallo stock cubes which are really low salt and better for babies!